Adelani Adepegba


Gunmen, who abducted two policemen attached to the National Assembly, have failed to release their hostages despite receiving N1.4m ransom last week.

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered that the development had raised fears about the safety of the cops who were kidnapped over two weeks ago on their way home in Shere community, Abuja, from a funeral.

The gunmen reportedly kidnapped three policemen one of whom managed to escape. They later demanded N10m ransom for the release of their victims.

The incident prompted the deployment of 20 policemen in Gwalluyi community where the abduction occurred and the surrounding areas in search of the missing cops.

But following the inability of the police detectives to track down the criminals, the family members of the abducted policemen were said to have met with the leadership of the Federal Capital Territory Police Command which provided N1m.

The worried relations also raised additional N400,000, amounting to N1.4m, which was delivered to the kidnappers by a police officer attached to the Federal Criminal Investigation Department identified as Danladi.

A source said, “When the families observed that the police were unable to track down the kidnappers, they cried to the authorities in the FCT Police Command which gave them N1m.

“They rallied round to raise additional N400,000 which was given to a pastor who is also a policeman to deliver to the kidnappers for the release of the captives.”

A family member expressed apprehension over the safety of the cops whose names he declined to disclose for security reasons.

He stated, “Days after receiving the ransom, the kidnappers have failed to release the policemen and we are afraid that something might have happened to them.

“When they were contacted on the phone, the kidnappers said they had travelled, promising to release the men when they returned, but we don’t understand what they meant by that.”

The acting FCT Police spokesman, Gajere Danjuma, said efforts to rescue the men were ongoing.  He, however, denied that a ransom was paid to the kidnappers.

“Our men are still combing the bush for their rescue but no ransom was paid to anyone,” he said on the telephone on Saturday.

Copyright PUNCH.