Director-General, National Council for Arts and Council (NCAC), Otunba Segun Runsewe, yesterday allayed the fears of Nigerians and the creative industry community over alleged sale of Arts and Craft Village, Abuja.
He said the village had not been sold because it was a national patrimony.
Runsewe made this disclosure during a facility tour of the village, which had been shut down by the management of NCAC to enable it carry out massive renovation work on the complex.
The director-general, who was accompanied on the tour by journalists and other personalities, said on completion, the art and culture village, which over the years had attracted hordes of visitors and events.
, would be ready for good business, but with a totally new ambience and concept different from what people know of the place before.
Some of the facilities being put in place now, he said, include a functional information centre at the entrance of the market, a reputable bank with three ATM machines, a pharmacy, mini-children’s park, restaurants, amphi-theatre and a skill acquisition training centre.
While some of the other sections were a car park, investment forum and the main cultural market, which would boast of not less than 165 shops that would in turn provide jobs for at least a thousand Nigerians. The director-general also said that there would be provision for night market, which would hold on the last Friday of the month, maintaining that the general idea was to retain the cultural aesthetics of the market while fully exploring the economic potential to empower Nigerians